I felt the need to express what I believe so that it is down in writing and not just in my heart. First in my life is my Savior Jesus Christ. He is my King. I know that he lived a perfect life and died on the cross and atoned for my sins. I can never repay the debt that is mine. The beautiful part of my love for the Savior is that I know that he loves me and wants me to be happy. He has shown me the way to be happy and if I follow His example, I can be. His Atonement encompasses all parts of my life. When I need help or comfort He is there for me and I can rely on Him. When I feel happiness, joy and contentment, I realize that it has come through Him. How thankful I am for His life, His sacrifice, His compassion, His strength, His love and His atonement.
The second very important part of my belief is that I know that Joseph Smith truly saw God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ and that they are indeed two separate and distinct individuals with one purpose, to bring about the immortality and eternal life of Man. Joseph had the courage and purity of heart to believe in the scripture in James 1:5 that if any lack wisdom, let him ask of God. Joseph wanted to know what church was true and which he should join. He went to the grove of trees away from his home to ask. I know that he was visited by God the Father and Jesus Christ. He was taught line upon line and precept upon precept until he was able to receive all the ordinances he needed from the hands of Their messengers. This wasn’t easy for Joseph, I am sure that the mission he was given was not what he wanted when he went to pray. But he was called of God, he was asked to do the work of restoring the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the earth, he translated the characters from the gold plates which he was given, he was obedient and did what he was asked to do. I hope that I can follow his example and do what I am asked to do.
The third major point of my belief system is that I do believe in the account that Joseph Smith translated from the gold plates that were given to him by an angel called Moroni. This is historical and spiritual account of a people called the Nephites and Lamanites who were brought to this continent from Jerusalem. This account covers one thousand years of civilization where they were taught of Jesus Christ and believed in Him. I believe that Jesus Christ did come to visit them as he visited others after he was crucified and then resurrected. He taught them and loved them and showed them the way to come back to Him. I have learned so much about the Gospel of Jesus Christ by reading this book, The Book of Mormon. I have learned of Charity, Hope and Faith. I am thankful for the teachings from the Book of Mormon that only clarify and support the Old and New Testaments. It truly is another testament of Christ.
The fourth cornerstone of my beliefs is that I know that we had Joseph Smith to be our Prophet in these the last days, he was followed by others and now we have our Prophet Thomas S. Monson. I didn’t always have a testimony that he is a living Prophet and that he was called of God. I do now. I wanted to know for myself if he really is. So, I studied about prophets and about the life and teachings of Thomas S. Monson. The thing that I found very important is that I prayed to know the truth and the Spirit of God or the Holy Ghost has told me that he is. I felt a burning in my heart and I knew that what I wanted to know was true. He will never lead us astray. Is he perfect? No. But the Lord will not allow him to lead the children of men astray. Our prophet loves us and the Lord loves us. They want us to be happy and by following them, we can be.
I cannot stress strong enough the importance of having these cornerstones for my foundation of my beliefs. This is my testimony. Everything I have and I know depends on these. I know these things because I have prayed and I have studied and I have received answers through the Holy Ghost. There have been times when I have prayed because, honestly, I couldn’t think of anything else I could do. It has been in those times that the Lord didn’t just whisper in my heart but I heard with my ears words of comfort and assurance.
My family is so important to me. I want them to be with me forever and ever. If we follow the Savior and our Prophets we can be. We can be sealed as a family for the eternities. Everything about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints supports families. We have a responsibility from our Heavenly Father to teach and care and nurture our children and each other. Where would I be without my sweetheart, Spike? He supports me, loves me, cares for me, laughs with me, and sometimes at me ;). He knows my weaknesses and loves me anyway. I love him too. We are in this together, for the long haul. I hope we can live and love so that we will always be together. Spike, all my children and grandchildren, parents, brothers and sisters are all so important to me. I need to take more time to know them and to love them.
No comments:
Post a Comment