Monday, September 3, 2012

Watermelon!

 This is the first year that our watermelon actually was harvestable!  I plant it every year with high hopes.  This year I planted some Charleston gray and they were wonderful.  I usually plant a smaller variety because I thought our growing season was too short for a larger variety. 

 I was a little hesitant about pulling them off the vine because...how do you know when they are ripe?  I watched a lot of youtube video's in hopes of becoming more educated.  I heard that Carola harvested hers and so I figured I should do mine.  I am such a copy cat.  The largest one measured about nineteen inches long, while the second was about thirteen.
 Both of the watermelon were delicious!  Yeah me!  Our cantaloupe is very tasty also.  I have too many cherry tomatoes so give me a yell if anyone wants some.  I wonder about the corn.  I picked two ears that looked ready. They are both quite small and the rest of the corn doesn't look great.  Rats.  That is my favorite part of growing a garden.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

If we were there Brennen would definitely take some of those cherry tomatoes off your hands!

Emily Asay said...

i love your blog. :) you are so fun. the watermelon is awesome!! what a great accomplishment!!! really!

Jord said...

Impressive! That looks delicious.