Saturday, July 14, 2012

Big Ice Cave

We had a very adventurous day on Friday.  We loaded up the Yukon with boys, lunch, and even Molly Dog and headed up the Pryor Mountains to visit the Ice Cave and have a picnic. We were hoping to see some wild horses along the way.
 Here are some lovely flowers.  The Indian Paintbrush is Wyoming's State Flower.  Since we were in Montana I suppose it would have been ok to pick some. ;)
 Spike, Jacob and Molly Dog heading down the trail to the Ice Cave. There were so many butterflies up there.  I saw a particularly large Monarch right at the mouth of the cave.
 A swallow sitting on her nest just above our heads as we went into the cave.  I thought she would fly away when we got closer but not so.  She was content to just sit and stay cool.
 Our family, Mark, Spike, Jacob and Marianne!  Molly decided to show us her best side I guess ;) We sure do miss having our whole family with us but are glad can do some things with Mark on his days off before he goes to school at UW. We sent lots of pix messages to the 'big kids' while we were there.
 Jacob is enjoying his lunch.  We couldn't have a fire up there so we just had sandwiches, chips, pop and some cupcakes.
 Looking out at the  Dryhead overlook.  Spike was explaining where the Bassets have their ranch.  It's just beautiful up there.

 Dryhead
 We found a whole herd of wild horses.
 I snapped this picture of the caves you can see while going down Sykes Ridge. The geology of the Pryors is very interesting.
 Just one example of the rough road.  We may have flattened the tire here but didn't notice it until quite a bit later.  This would be a fun road to go up on four-wheelers.  Mark is planning some fun with his friends I think.
 Flat tire! We were sort of in a hurry to get home and then get to Billings to the Temple so this flat tire was not a welome site.  Spike and Mark got it fixed in a hurry and we were able to get to there on time.  We didn't get to go to Costco before though.  I'll have to make another trip some time next week.
 Pretty sure the rim is toast.
 We finally saw some horses close up. This little family group was fun to see. There were three adults and a foal.

No comments: