Wednesday, September 8, 2010

How does your garden grow?

We had high hopes for our garden this year. Of course we started out slow and didn't get the garden in until the end of May (next year we will do better). So we ended getting the seeds that were leftovers. Straight eights are the best carrot seeds to plant but they were all gone in Lovell so I got some baby carrot seeds and some that are supposed to be like beets. We will see. At least I planted this in a better spot of the garden and the grasshoppers haven't completely eaten the tops this year.You can see the lone tomato plant in this picture. It was supposed to be a cherry tomato so I hung it in one of those Topsy Turvy things. The wind blew really hard in July and it fell down and broke it so I replanted it here in the corner of the garden and it still hasn't had any ripe tomatoes.
Here is a picture of one of the few onions that is still with us. The grasshoppers really, really like the tops of the onions, so they ate most of them to the ground. I really don't like grasshoppers. I would show you the pictures of the beans but both the grasshoppers and the rabbits like beans as soon as they popped out of the ground. Have you ever heard the Elmer Fudd song called "Kill the Rabbit"? I like it.
In this picture you can see the lovely sunflowers. The ones on the left are some that I planted on purpose. The ones on the right are volunteers. I planted some Russian Giants and I hope we get some seeds from those. Cute little ornamentals were planted just in front of the Russian Giants. I wondered how they would turn out and supposed they would be taller.
The grasshoppers don't like cantaloupe. Nice. We have eaten one out of the garden so far and it was delicious. We also ate some of the watermelon. I think they were supposed to be bigger than a bowling ball. We even had some that were softball size. If anyone has the secret of growing nice sized watermelon please let me know.
Grasshoppers love Pepper plants. I thought I was planting some bell peppers. Turns out they were long and skinny and I got two before the grasshoppers found the plants and devoured them.
For most of the year my potatoes were looking great. I realize that potatoes have a life cycle that is for a certain amount of days but these got munched on. If you look closely the stems are still green but there are no leaves on the plants. I have dug up some hills that were completely dead and I didn't get very many potatoes and those were small. There again, I got to the the garden store late and there weren't any more Yukon Gold. I will make a goal to get there sooner next year.
Cucumbers were wonderful this year! When they get watered often we have been getting six or seven every day. I only planted six hills of these and I figured some would die because that is what they do in my garden. They all survived and thrived and we are tired of cucumbers. If anybody wants some, come on over.
Finally the corn. I planted the corn in the corner of the garden so as to hide the 'junk' behind it. I like how that worked out. Here is the question of the day. What if the grasshoppers eat all off the silk of the corn? Will the kernels continue to grow?

Goals for next year:
Plant earlier
Put more fertilizer on the garden
Water the garden better
Get the 'good' stuff from the garden guy.
Pray that the grasshoppers don't come back.

1 comment:

Lauren Olsen said...

They say grasshoppers have a cycle where they are bad one year and then skip a year before attacking again... something like that... so there is hope!