Sunday, February 20, 2011

First Place!

We went to the regional wrestling tournament in Cokeville over the weekend. What a long trip that was. Jan Asay went with me in the Alero. Spike put studded snow tires on the car before we went and on the way down we wondered why we did. We left in the morning and made good time and got to Cokeville in plenty of time to watch the boys warm up before the wrestling began. Mark wrestled well over the tournament. He got a bye in the first round and then wrestled a Hanna Elk Mountain young man and then one from Greybull. On Saturday afternoon Mark wrestled for the Championship against Hayden Davidson from Saratoga. Hayden had beaten him earlier in the year in Greybull. They went all three periods and Mark came out victorious!This throw was the first one in the third period. Hayden initiated the throw but Sparky controlled it. I wish I had the whole effect on tape. Hayden flew out of the ring and off of the mat then got tangled in the warning tape that was hooked in a chair and then threw the chair. I was a little worried by that time but Sparky was glad because he knew that Hayden was frustrated. Spark wrestled a really smart match to win at 215.
I wish they would have turned him around but this is all right I guess.
These wrestlers were pretty tired but at least Sparky is happy :)

More excitement was to come! While Mark was wrestling they announced that South Pass was closed to everyone except chains and four wheel drive. I didn't have either, neither did the Bus so after Spike talked with our Superintendent they decided to go up through Jackson and over Togwotee Pass. The roads were a little slick in spots and snowy but we made pretty good time up till then. On the way off the pass things got worse and we had lots of snow and for some reason the snowplows were not out. We finally made it to Riverton where we fueled up and then followed a snowplow out of town toward Shoshoni for about ten miles until it turned around. For a ten mile stretch of road before the Wind River canyon we were able to drive about 65 MPG. That was the only time. I think the worst roads were from Greybull to Lovell. We were bucking drifts across the road while trying to stay in the ruts of earlier drivers. On that corner just before Lovell we got stuck on top of a drift and snow-planed in a nice circle. I kept saying "Jan, Jan" and she kept saying "It's all right, it's all right." What a trouper she was during the whole trip, very encouraging and she didn't ever even scream :) We finally made it home about 1:30 a.m. Crazy. I have never driven on roads like that and I hope the rest of wrestling season is better. We were very grateful for the snow tires that we got on the car and for all the prayers that were said on our behalf.

No comments: