Sunday, November 28, 2010

Big Building in the Backyard

We built a big red building in the backyard. I refuse to call it a shed. It is way too big for that. Spike really wanted a garage. This is even bigger than that. It is thirty by forty feet. The first thing we had to do for this project was to move the 'precious things' that were in the way, you know things like pallets that we might use someday, old lawn mowers that might have parts that we might need someday, pipes that could come in handy someday... things like that.
Then we leveled out the area pretty well and then we dug the footings. And by 'we' I mean Jacob and me. Okay, okay,it FELT like Jacob and I did it all but Scott Davis came over and helped and Spike lifted a shovel or so of dirt;). Then we had to put a lot of gravel base down.
Then Spike had some friends come over to help with the cement. James worked a lot! He was a big help, so were Mel, Bill, Kenneth, Scott, and the guy who brought the cement.


Spike's brother Gary sells metal buildings. He gave us a pretty good deal on one. It was cheaper to not have the ends put on so Spike decided to do that part himself. These guys came and put this up in about five hours.


Mark, Spike, Jacob and I worked hard putting up the west side of the building. Gary came along just in time and made the job go much quicker. We got it mostly done before the sun went down.




It is finished except for the east side now. Spike needs to put in a garage door and it has just been too cold and snowy for much outside work. Wrestling season starts this weekend so I am not sure how quickly we will be able to wrap things up, but I am sure it will be done before Christmas.

2 comments:

ZZom said...

That's awesome! I knew you were thinking about it, but I guess when you decide to do something you really do it!

Mike and Marianne Grant said...

I kind of thought he would do one about half that size. YIKES! But, he got that good deal and you just have to go with that:)