Saturday, July 10, 2010

Girls Camp!

Girls camp started out cold, cold, cold. We started up the Big Horn mountains driving the Lumina with five people in the car. I am not sure we had brake lights, probably not since Spike has not gotten around to doing that. In Lovell it was about 70 degrees and just a very nice day but the Mountain had a huge cloud just hovering over the top half. Debbie Allred and I were in the front seat and the car did a wonderful job going up. We hit dense fog about half way up, in a way it was nice because then Debbie didn't freak out looking out the window and seeing the ground very far down. We couldn't see anything except about 20 yards in front of us. We cruised on at about 20 MPH. By the time we hit Bear Lodge the cloud lifted and decided to snow on us instead. The dirt road to camp was very slick and I was just trying to stay out of the ruts and far enough behind the truck in front of us so that I wouldn't have to actually stop. I wasn't sure if I would get stuck or not. It looks nice and warm in this picture but not so. All of the girls got wet feet and there quite a bit of snow in different places. I think the temperature hovered around 40 degrees and it rained, hailed, snowed and groppel ( little balls of hard snow) fell out of the sky. Every once in a while we had sunshine.
This is the camp all set up. A big thank you to Bill and Kelvin Yowell, Doug Savage and Lloyd Mayes for helping us get it all set up.
I procrastinated on the whole flag thing. Camp Started on Tuesday and I needed a flag so of course I started it on Saturday. There were o directions as to how large the flag needed to be so the first one I made was about 18 inches by 30 inches. Then I got a phone call from another camp director and she told me they needed to be three feet by five feet! Yikes! I didn't have time to go buy a red sheet which was our camp color. I was panicking and looked up the stairs to the hallway window and there it was. My Flag! I took down one panel and it was the perfect size and color. I put some jewels on it and wrote all the things we wanted on it. It worked out really well. Inspiration is a wonderful thing!
This is a pile of snow that was still there by the afternoon of the second day. Brrrr.
Our girls helping with the stake service project for the missionaries. I think they all had a good time especially because it was inside the lodge where it was warm.
The ever popular game of Moose, Moose! It is pretty much like the elephant game except that the Moose is the goal and you have to have sounds that go with you motion. The personalities of the girls really came through!
Oops. Meryk made a mistake and it was a funny one!
Metya was the Moose! Goal Achieved!

Camp overall was great except we didn't get to spend much time with them. The Stake directors had lots of activities with the girls and I would have like to have some ward time. We had some things planned but didn't the chance to do them. Tuesday and Wednesday were rather cold and the canoeing in Syble lake was cancelled but Thursday and Friday got a lot better and by Friday morning we didn't have to wear coats anymore. Two layers of shirts was enough. We got up and moving and were out of camp by 8:30. The Lumina performed very well on the way down. As you know we have quite the drive down the mountain. When I geared down into second we stayed at about 50 MPH then when we needed to I geared down to first and we crawled along at a healthy 30 MPH. Our priesthood leaders who were taking the trailer down that had all of the girls' stuff in it didn't fare so well. Brother Yowell burned out his clutch on the top so Bob Acton showed up at our house with the trailer and Bro. Yowell got his vehicle down later in the day. I wish they would have a flashing light at the top of the Mountain that told the 'new drivers of the mountain" how many people have died coming down because they didn't know what they were doing. Then they would read the signs that tell them what to do.

No comments: