Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Fill Your Basket - The Ultimate Gift

We read this book for our Relief Society 'Fill your Basket' meeting that we are holding once a month.  This book truly filled my basket the day that I read it and the day we had our discussion.  It is so nice to be able to meet together with other people and hear what is special to them and how they felt about the book.  I found this review on the internet and decided that I couldn't really make it sound any better.

It's a story about Jason Stevens, a wealthy, "spoiled" young man with an attitude. When Jason's great-uncle (grandfather in the movie) dies, Jason ungratefully expects to receive a huge financial inheritance.

Instead, he receives "The Ultimate Gift" as his inheritance, which involves a year-long journey about what's really important in life. As his great-uncle states, "If you stay the course over the next year, and embrace each element, at that point you will be the recipient of the most significant bequest I can leave you through my will. . . . [and you'll] have the further responsibility of passing along the ultimate gift whenever it is possible."

I checked this book out of our library but I decided that this is definitely one book that I want to have on the shelves in my living room.  I think I might even get some for my older children as gifts, hoping that they can make time to read it.  This is a quick read.  I read it in about an hour and a half one evening.  I couldn't put it down.

1 comment:

The Edwards said...

I'm adding you to my blog list right now while I'm thinking of it. I've popped over a few times and caught up on what's been going on in your family, but never commented. I've always admired you and your family. You bore your testimony in sacrament meeting a million years ago when we had first moved into 4th ward. I remember being impressed then by the kind of mother you were (and still are). Thank you for your example over the years. I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Mark after having him in scouts. He was so sweet and has grown into such an impressive young man....a late congrats on his state championship.....Rachel is beautiful, as is little baby Eve. I have a hard time thinking of you as a grandma. Time is fleeting.